Climate-controlled storage units allow people to store their items properly without worrying about the elements ruining their belongings. Here are some frequently asked questions to help you decide if climate-controlled storage is the right option for you:
What exactly are climate-controlled storage units?
Climate-controlled storage units control the temperature that your items will be stored in. The temperature stays between 55 and 85 degrees. Besides controlling the temperature, climate-controlled storage units also control the humidity in the storage unit. They use a combination of heating, air conditioning, humidifiers, ventilation, and heavy-duty insulation to accomplish this.
What are the benefits of a climate-controlled storage unit?
The biggest benefit is the protection offered by climate-controlled storage units. Items will not be deformed by heat, cold, or humidity. You can also keep your items in the storage unit for long periods of time without worrying about them. You won't have to spend money to replace any of your furniture or personal items. Items are protected from pests and dirt as well.
Do I need a climate-controlled storage facility?
Do you live in an area where the temperature gets hotter than 90 degrees or lower than 32 degrees? Does it get humid? Are you storing your items for a long time or unsure of how long you will be storing your items? If you answered yes to any of those questions, seriously consider a climate-controlled storage unit.
What items need climate control?
Many of your valuables can benefit from a controlled climate. This list includes but is not limited to:
- Art- Extreme temperature can cause art to shrink or expand, and humidity can create mold and mildew.
- Books, magazines, and pictures- Extreme temperature can create these items to yellow.
- CDs, DVDs, and video games- Too much exposure to light can cause the disks to get cloudy.
- Delicate fabrics- Humidity can cause the fabrics to grow mold.
- Electronics- Humidity can cause electronics to corrode.
- Leather- Temperature change can create mildew and discoloration
- Metal- Humidity causes metals to rust and deform.
- Vinyl- High temperatures can cause vinyl to warp.
- Wine- WIne must be an ideal temperature or it will age too quickly and deform the cork.
- Wood- Moisture can cause wooden furniture to warp, rot, or break.
In general, your climate-controlled storage facility should stay at around 55% relative humidity to protect all of your items from damage. Contact a storage facility near you for more information and assistance.Share